St Leonard's Church, Matakana
St Leonard's Church - 24 Matakana Valley Road, Matakana
Services : 9.30am every Sunday (also midweek on the fourth Wednesday of every month at 12.15pm)
The church of St Leonard's is a growing congregation that meets in the heart of Matakana every Sunday morning at 9.30am.
Twice a month (on the second and fourth Sundays) we hold our Explorer Kids children's program for kids ages 5 to 10. Many of our congregation are also volunteers in the Matakana Anglican Op Shop, which sits next to the church. Visitors are always welcome, come join us!
The history of St Leonard's
Land was donated, money raised and a tender let for the erection of the church which was dedicated 31st May 1914 in the name of St Leonard of Noblac, patron saint of prisoners, friend of the weak and the fallen. The building was extended in 1993 and a Rose Window was added in 2001 which portrays elements of the Christian faith and of the local history and character of Matakana. The adjacent Matakana Anglican Opportunity Shop, built at the same time as the church (though also extended in the late 1990s and again in the early 1990s), was once the post office.
St Leonard's Church is part of the Warkworth Anglican Parish.
Along with the local Presbyterian, Methodist and Catholic churches our Parish is a part of the Warkworth Christian Foodlink scheme, providing food and support to the foodbank run by Mahu Vision Community Trust.
A 24/7 food donation bin is now located at the St Leonard's OpShop. All goods go to the Foodlink food bank for distribution around our district.